Chantal Gariepy is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with 23 years of professional experience. She has worked as a public health nutritionist, clinical dietitian, nutrition consultant, academic nutrition instructor and business owner. Her previous employers include Children Hospital Los Angeles, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara Business College, Antioch University, Sansum Clinic and Ventura County Public Health Services. Since 2008, Chantal runs Skillful Eating, her highly successful professional practice located in downtown Santa Barbara. Chantal’s work is distinctive. She is known as a dynamic speaker and gifted counselor, who makes a genuine difference in people’s lives. Her fascination for the human body and mind keeps her on the cutting edge of nutrition and lifestyle medicine research. Chantal's approach favors reliable science-based nutrition information over myths and opinions. She is committed to providing services of genuine value and benefit to her clients. She provides wise, judicious, practical advice, in a clear accessible manner. Chantal has been exposed to thousands of typical and atypical diet related issues. This rich experience allows her to meet each client with presence, compassion, non-judgment, and a keen sensitivity to socio-economic and cultural backgrounds. Chantal speaks English, Spanish, and French.
- Chantal holds a bachelor degree in Nutrition Science from the University of Montreal’s School of Medicine.
- She completed her dietetic internship at St-Justine Children Hospital in Montreal, Canada.
- She is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) formerly known as the American Dietetic Association (ADA).
- She pursued advanced studies in diabetes and prediabetes, and is a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) through the National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators (NCBDE).
- She holds a Certificate of Training in Childhood & Adolescent Weight Management from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- She is a former member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- She has been featured numerous times as a nutrition/health expert on local TV and in local newspapers.
- Prior to being a nutritionist, Chantal studied occupational therapy and business at McGill University in Canada.
- Outside work, Chantal is a ceramic teaching-artist, and a docent for the Santa Barbara Museum of Art.